News

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

CONCUSSIONS:More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. Photo: Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A federal judge has granted preliminary approval to a deal that would compensate former NFL players for concussion-related claims.

Attorneys Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement that Monday’s decision represents “an extraordinary settlement” for the plaintiffs.

The NFL last month agreed to remove a $675 million cap on damages after U.S. District Judge Anita Brody questioned whether there would be enough money to pay all claims.

The settlement is designed to last at least 65 years and cover retirees who develop Lou Gehrig’s disease and other neurological problems.

More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions.

Recent Headlines

in Music

This week’s top rock tracks

nickelback

LISTEN: This week's top rock songs, according to the latest Billboard chart.

in Entertainment

Coming soon: The Mustache Hall of Fame

burtreynolds

There are halls of fame for everything from baseball to rock 'n' roll, so why not those with a hairy upper lip?

in Music

Pink Floyd warns album ‘not for iTunes generation’

pinkfloyd

David Gilmour has warned the band's younger fans they might not enjoy the upcoming album.

in Entertainment

Inspiration for ‘Harry Potter’ nemesis revealed

harrypotter

J.K. Rowling says the much-hated character Dolores Umbridge is based on a teacher to whom she took an instant dislike.