News

Boston sets memorial for victims of marathon bombing

Boston sets memorial for victims of marathon bombing

BOSTON MARATHON: Photos from left, Martin Richard, 8, Lingzi Lu, a Boston University graduate student, and Krystle Campbell, 29, hang at a makeshift memorial near the finish line of the Boston Marathon explosions, which killed three and injured more than 140. Photo: Associated Press/Matt Rourke

(BOSTON) Reuters – Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, and some of the 264 people injured in the April 15 Boston Marathon bombing will attend a memorial service on the one-year anniversary of the attack, officials said on Thursday.

Officials offered few details of the event, which will be held at Boston’s Hynes Convention Center and will also feature remarks from first responders and a tribute to the three people killed by the twin homemade pressure-cooker bombs.

“We were put to the ultimate test by the events at last year’s Boston Marathon,” Patrick said. “We rose to the occasion: turning to each other, rather than against and showing the world what a strong community looks like.”

The blasts, which ripped through spectators, volunteers and athletes at the crowded finish line of Boston’s best-attended sporting event, prompted a week-long security flurry across the city, culminating in a day-long lockdown of the greater metropolitan area as police conducted a manhunt for suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Tsarnaev, a 20-year-old immigrant from Russia’s restive Chechnya region, was arrested late on April 19, after he and his 26-year-old brother, Tamerlan, shot and killed a university police officer in a hasty attempt to escape the city, authorities said.

On Wednesday, a U.S. judge ruled that the surviving Tsarnaev’s trial on charges related to the attack will begin in November. The suspect, who lived just outside Boston for the decade prior to the bombing, faces the possibility of execution if he is convicted.

(Reporting by Scott Malone; editing by Sofina Mirza-Reid)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

‘Furious 7′ continues box office domination for 4th week

Fresh
This photo provided by Universal Pictures shows, Vin Diesel as Dom Toretto in a scene from "Furious 7."

"Furious 7" had enough left in the tank to top "The Age of Adaline" and lead the box office for a fourth straight week.

in Entertainment, Viral Videos

The five stages of watching a Marvel movie

Fresh
15-overlay11

"Oh God, this franchise is never going to end."

in Entertainment

‘Super Troopers 2′ is coming soon

Fresh
supertroopers

Fans of cult comedy have helped producers raise more than double their $2 million crowdsourcing target to fund a follow-up to the 2001 film.

in Entertainment

Usher, Pharrell, Kevin Hart join forces for scholarship initiative

Fresh
20-overlay7

Actor Anthony Anderson, singer Toni Braxton, and NBA star Chris Paul were also among those who contributed to the United Negro College Fund, to help students pursue higher education.

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: April 27

johnlennon

A look back on some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.